Before your Home Inspection
- Before we start with the home inspection, we will sign an Inspection Agreement that clearly mentions the terms and conditions of the service to help us maintain transparency.
- You are required to make the payment at the time of the inspection. We accept your payment in cash, cheque, Paypal, Venmo, and CashApp. Please let us know your preferred way to make the payment by replying to this email.
- Please ensure that the water, power, and gas lines are running if the home is vacant. Request your realtor to turn “ON” all shut-off valves and/breakers before the inspection.
- Please consult with your realtor and/seller(s) to ensure that the attic is accessible if the home is occupied. Personal belongings should also be removed from areas surrounding major appliances (HVAC and Water Heaters), crawl space accesses, and electrical panels.
- The following verbatim should be added in your purchase contract to ensure the mentioned inspection prerequisites are met by the realtor and/seller(s): A. In addition to Seller’s obligation under this agreement to have all utilities, services, and other items operational during all inspections, Seller will also ensure that the crawl space, garage, and/or attic areas will be accessible and free of debris and/or personal articles. B. If anything is unable to be tested and/or inspected during any of the inspections because Seller did not have the utility services and other items operational, and as a result Buyer’s inspections that were paid for by buyer were unable to be performed, then Seller agrees to ensure that the utility services and other items will be operational during any follow-up inspections, and the Seller will pay for any and all fees incurred by the buyer in order to have the non-functioning items re-inspected.
During a Home Inspection
- You are encouraged to attend the inspection for a recap on the deficiencies found.
- Home inspections typically last between 2 – 4 hours based on the age, size, and condition of the home.
- If visible fungal growth (possible mold) is found during the inspection, I can take surface swab samples of the growth. And, send these sample(s) to the lab if desired by you. Surface swab sampling is $150 for the first sample and $70 for each additional sample. MAC#1776
- Indoor air quality inspection can also be conducted if a musty smell is present. These services will be accompanied by an additional agreement and report that may vary in price starting at $375. Read more information about a mold assessment.
After the Inspection
- You will receive the inspection report by the afternoon or evening of the inspection by email. The same email will also have a link to the invoice PDF. The software I use to prepare inspection reports has several tools available to help you communicate any concerns with your realtor.
- I deliver a highly detailed inspection report which encloses every possible defect in the property. It is not uncommon for me to find as many as 30 or more of such defects. However, defects don’t mean it’s a bad house. Defects simply mean there is room for repair and improvement. Usually, these repairs are simple or can be delayed. Smart home buyers see my report as a tool for negotiation in a real estate transaction. And, it helps them focus on the major repair or concerns that need immediate attention.
- Wondering what to expect? Visit this link to have a look at a sample report.
- Have questions about the home inspection or the property you want to move into? I am always here to happily answer all your doubts.
Schedule a home inspection with Jonathan today!